Frequently Asked Questions
  • What are the differences between the Working Holiday Schemes and ordinary visit visas or student visas?
  • Young people who have successfully applied for admission to the Schemes will be issued a Working Holiday Visa or relevant documentation, including a Letter of Introduction to exchange for a work permit, by the relevant consulate for them to stay lawfully in the host economy to travel and take up short-term employment.  Ordinary visit visa or student visa holders are not allowed to work in the economy when they are visiting.  For details, please approach the relevant consulates.
  • Are there any restrictions on age and number of times of participation under the Working Holiday Schemes?
  • People aged between 18 and 30 are eligible, and in general each of them may visit the same economy only once under the Working Holiday Schemes.  For details, please approach the relevant consulates.
    Starting from 1 November 2005, working holidaymakers who have completed at least three months of specified work in regional Australia while on their first working holiday visa, would be eligible to apply for a second working holiday visa.  For details, please visit
  • How long is the validity of the Working Holiday Visa or the relevant documentation?
  • Participants in the Scheme of the United Kingdom may stay in the host economy for a period of up to 24 months.  Holders of the Working Holiday Visa or relevant documentation may stay in other host economies for a maximum period of 12 months.  For details, please approach the relevant consulates.
  • Is an insurance plan a must for all Working Holidaymakers?
  • The Working Holiday Schemes with New Zealand, Ireland, Germany, Japan, Canada, Korea, France, the United Kingdom, Austria, Hungary, Sweden and the Netherlands require applicants to take out insurance plans throughout their stay in those countries.

    Working holidaymakers, especially for the Australia Working Holiday Scheme, are strongly advised to take out suitable medical (including repatriation), hospitalisation and liability insurance policy before their departure to cover the possible related cost incurred abroad.
  • Will the HKSAR Government provide subsidies/accommodation for the participants?
  • No. Participation in the Schemes is voluntary.  Participants should work out their own itineraries, prepare enough funds to meet their travelling expenses and hold a travel ticket. In considering the applications, the relevant consulates will require the applicants to produce financial proof and return tickets for reference.  For details, please approach the relevant consulates.
  • What should I do in case of emergency?
  • You should approach the local government authorities or the relevant Chinese Embassy or Consulate for assistance, or call the 24-hour hotline of the Assistance to Hong Kong Residents Unit (AHU) of the Immigration Department at (852) 1868.

    Please refer to the following websites for further information:
    Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People's Republic of China:
    Immigration Department of Hong Kong: